What is Consent?
- Consent is a positive response that is informed, freely and actively given.
- Consent is hearing the word “yes.”
- It is NOT the absence of hearing “no.”
- Consent cannot be given when a person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Sex without consent is against the LAW!
- Consent for past acts does not mean consent for future acts!
- Consent for some sexual activity does not mean consent for any sexual activity!
- Being in a relationship does not imply consent.
- Consent can be withdrawn at any point without explanation.
- Consent is not forever.
Consent cannot be given or received when a person is impaired. Impairment is defined as an individual’s inability to understand the situation or understand the consequences of their decision.
- Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Having a cognitive impairment.
- Being under the age of consent.
Indiana University Key Terms